Wow. There's a lot to cover from our four days in Rome. We had to catch an early train from Vernazza and ride all the way to Rome - about 5 hours. We got there around noon and found our bed and breakfast - probably the nicest hotel we stayed at the whole trip (and it was the cheapest!). We went to the National Museum of Rome and then walked over to the Pantheon and Spanish Steps.
It was a holiday weekend (May 1st is Labor Day in Rome), so there were hordes of people everywhere. Here are half of them sitting on the steps.
The other half were inside the Pantheon. This was the second night we were in Rome. We walked around the historical center at dusk and enjoyed the lit monuments. The Pantheon is the best preserved building from ancient Rome. It was built sometime around AD 170 and has remained intact since.
On the morning of the second day in Rome we toured the Colosseum. Impressive building. I'd been there a few times, but never inside until this trip.
While crossing the street we stumbled across this little gem. It's a Ferrari F430. $200,000 car driving in one of the craziest piazzas in Rome - Piazza Venezia. Made for a good photo though.
After touring the Colosseum we went through the Roman Forums and Palatine Hill. Palatine Hill is where all the Caesars built their large mansions. We get our word Palace from this spot. Now it's a bunch of hard to recognize ruins - partially because each new Cesar would build over, on top of, or expand upon the predecessor's house. Jess insisted on taking this picture, since that's what I was doing the whole trip - taking pictures.
The first night in Rome we walked over to the Colosseum at night. This is my favorite shot from the whole trip. It will soon be a poster adorning our bare walls.
Here's a good shot of Jess in front of the Spanish Steps along with half of Rome. I was glad they had the flowers out. I never got to see this area with the red flowers displayed.
I know we're jumping around a bit - this is inside the "concourse" of the Colosseum.
We enjoyed beautiful weather. Inside the Colosseum here. They actually had the capability to flood the floor - to clean up all the blood from Gladiator fights and also handy for staging naval battles for spectators.
Jess on the inside.
Me on the inside. The stadium could hold 50-70 thousand people and could be emptied in a matter of minutes. Those Romans sure knew how to engineer.
Me on the outside. If Jess stepped a little further back she probably have been hit by a passing bus or scooter. A major road circles the stadium.
Jess up on Palatine Hill. Behind her is where the emperor's private theater stood.
Arch of Titus in the Roman Forum. Titus was the emperor who quashed the rebellion in Jerusalem in 70 AD and destroyed the temple there. This arch was built to commemorate that victory.
Scenes from the Roman Forum - center of the world's government for the better part of 1000 years.
Jessica in the Forum
Detail from another arch in the forum.
After the Forum and walking to the Pantheon in the daytime, we sauntered over to Trevi Fountain. More hordes.
Near the Pantheon is the only Gothic Church in Rome. This is the inside. Santa Maria Sopra Minerva.
Also near the Pantheon is a church called San Ignazio. It's 3-d painted ceiling is a riot of baroque art. Also there's a false dome painted up there. From the entrance it looks like a dome but as you get underneath it, you realize it's just an illusion.
I mentioned our night walk - here we are back at Trevi Fountain. It's much cooler at night - but still tons of people joined us.This is another video. This time from inside the Pantheon. Enjoy!
Another one - Trevi Fountain at night. Lots to take in I know. Thanks for sticking with me.





3 comments:
Jason and I never made it to Rome, but my sister and I did before I was married. You guys have some awesome pictures!
I thought that it was crowded at the Spanish Steps while we were there, but you totally win, that is a ton of people!
I really like the fountains there, and the Colosseum is so amazing. We stumbled upon a concert that was going on there one night and they had it all lit up in different colors and it was really neat. I like the car picture that you got, that is classic.
Your favorite Colusseum picture is outstanding, as is the one higher up in black and white. Kelly and I toured the Colusseum, but not the Pantheon. I'm so glad you got to spend four days in Rome. It's one of my favorite cities to see in Europe.
Post a Comment