Forgot to mention - mostly cause we don't have pictures - but Makayla had to have her shunt replaced at the beginning of June. She was acting like she wasn't feeling well - throwing up, generally lathargic, and we took her in to the emergency room. The doctors ran a bunch of tests, including an MRI to check on how the fluid in her brain was looking. Results were inconclusive. Given the way she was acting, our neurosurgeon decided it'd be best to perform surgery and just make sure everything was ok. He ended up replacing the entire shunt system.
He told us that the pressure in Makayla's head was so high that her shunt actually shot out when they opened it up. Although it sounds serious, the surgery was a fairly minor, routine brain operation. It's seems weird, even as I write that, but it's true. We were released the next day. And later that afternoon, Makayla was acting like this:
Pretty amazing if you ask me. She literally perked up the second the drugs wore off. She learned probably 20 new words in the next two days. Amazing (and a bit scary) given how much the shunt can really affect her if it's not working properly.
1 comment:
Good Heavens I seriously can't believe how big she is getting. I loved her little actions to the song, and happy to hear that she is back to full speed.
I'm glad that you were able to take care of the shunt so quickly, that is amazing what a difference it makes.
Post a Comment