Saturday, August 30, 2008

Nature's Lightshow

We've been having some pretty intense monsoon storms over the past two nights. On Thursday it seemed like the paparazzi were in the clouds. Lightning was flashing constantly. I was standing out on the third floor stairwell of the apartment complex with our neighbor Greg trying to take pictures and a strike hit in the field across the street. We saw sparks fly (looked like someone had shot a firework off) and then heard a very loud clap of thunder. Unfortunately I didn't get it on camera. Greg and I decided that was a little too close and that we should go inside after that. I had to put smaller versions on here, but I think the smaller versions don't do justice to the pictures. If you click on the picture, and then click "all sizes" under the picture title you can see the larger size.

Lightning 266

Lightning 263

Lightning 269

Lightning 273

This one is my favorite.
Lightning 248

Lightning 236

Lightning 232

Lightning 222

Lightning 208

This one was from Thursday night - all the ones above were from last night.
Lightning 027 - crop

I'll post an update later on the house.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Totally awesome pics.

Pacers said...

Pretty amazing! I wish I could have been there, I love lightning storms.

Russell and Jillian said...

Hi y'all! It's the Romriell's checking in. It looks like you're doing really well. And we were so jealous of your lightning pictures! Do you have an outstanding camera, or perfect timing (or both)? We're wondering how you got those. Awesome!

Kelly said...

Fantastic photos!

Matthew said...

This pictures are really cool. How'd you take them?

Matthew said...

These, I meant these pictures...dang it! I am a dumb.

Lonna said...

fantastic. I feel like we never get to see much lightning here, but we do hear it for sure. Maybe our windows are facing the wrong direction. Oh well, the pictures look so great, I really liked seeing all the different ways the lightning looks.