Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Trip to the Capitol

My parents have been visiting for the past two weeks or so. As much as I'd like to think they came to see Jessica and I, I'm pretty sure Makayla had a lot to do with it. Actually it was great having them in the area for two weeks or so and they really helped us out a lot. Plus it's not too often that we get visitors out here since most members of our immediate family are at least a 20 hour drive away.
One of the things we did was take a quick trip to the capitol building. I let the suppressed photographer in me out a little bit while there and though I don't have a really nice camera, I think some of these shots aren't too bad.
The dome - it's the second tallest capitol building. The one in DC is taller. So maybe not Everything is bigger in Texas!
On second thought, I am also told that in terms of pure square footage, it IS the largest capitol building in the US. I guess I've been proved wrong.
Jessica and I in front of the capitol. Doesn't my wife look great? She had the baby one month ago - I am amazed.
You thought we left her at home or something? Makayla's first tourist attraction!
Mom and Dad came too. As a side note, this is typical for my mother. Always with an educational brochure in her hand. When we would take trips we always had to have some sort of educational value added. Historical markers, museums, saw mills, and even a salt factory in Seaside Oregon. I complained at the time, but I know it was for our benefit.
About the photographer thing... I actually took a few classes in high school and really enjoyed it. My junior and senior years I was asked to be on the newspaper staff as a photographer which I really enjoyed. I especially liked the sports pictures I had a chance to take. Since the newspaper only used one or two of the sports pictures I took, the yearbook photo editor asked me for the leftovers and used most of mine in the sports spreads. I don't consider myself especially talented, but I guess the alternative for boys soccer was pictures of the grass.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Excellent photos, Tyler. Your family is good subject matter, and then of course, there's our lovely state capitol building.