Sunday, July 15, 2007

Makayla comes home and the last hospital pictures

Well, Makayla was finally released from the Intensive Care Unit at Dell. We are glad to finally have everyone home and under one roof. No more trips across town to see our daughter! Here are a few pictures from today and also the past few days with Makayla's surgery and her cool scars.
Mom and Makayla on the couch.
I included this picture because you can see her blue eyes. You might have to enlarge the picture though
I'm so glad to be home!
Check out my cool back scar. The darker patch near the top of her crack is hair. The scar does not extend that far down. The actual defect was right about the middle of the scar. I don't have a picture of that before the surgery though.
Here you can see the scar from the shunt surgery on Thursday. It's not very big, but there's a noticeable lump where a regulator for the shunt resides. Luckily, it looks like she'll have lots of moderately thick hair to cover it up.
A few head shots. This one was probably taken right after we changed her
Showing off how her mouth and eyes work
Once again, so happy to be home! Now she can take naps on our couch like mom!
Despite all of the frustrations of not knowing when we were going to be able to take her home, the staff has been great. The nurses did an excellent job, and all of the staff and doctors have been as informative as they can be considering the circumstances.
We'll have a team of doctors to meet with regularly inlcuding our pediatrician, neurosurgeon, orthopedics, and urologists just to name a few. I'm sure there will be more. Luckily the children's hospital has a spina bifida clinic once a month (we go every three months at first) where we can come and spend the majority of the day seeing all the specialists in one place. Our first clinic appointment is August 14th. Stay tuned for what will be many more posts and many more pictures.



4 comments:

Russell and Jillian said...

I'm so glad your little family finally gets to be all together! Jessica, you look beautiful and so happy!

Lonna said...

Yeah! Welcome home. I am so glad that you are all able to be together in your own environment. Your little family is so darling. I do love her blue eyes, and she really does have a ton of hair. You are all looking great. Thanks so much for keeping everyone posted, I love your blog.

Kelly said...

Makayla is so alert looking and strong willed, and wonderful. I'm happy that you were able to bring her home. I hope everything goes well taking care of her own your own.

Gena said...

There's that "i just had a baby look..". You look great!