Sunday, September 23, 2007

Pesto Dinner

Every now and then I get a craving for some good Italian food. I spent two years there and I still miss many of the tastes and smells that I encountered every day. Jessica is a willing partner most of the time, (since I'm doing the cooking) even though I often splurge for more pricey ingredients. Last week it was pasta arrabiata (angry pasta)...this week it was something else. She convinced me yesterday NOT to get the $12/lb. mozzarella di buffala imported from Naples at Costco, and instead we decided to buy some fresh basil, pecorino and parmigiano to make pesto. We even purchased a marble mortar and pestle to crush all the ingredients together.
You can see the wonderful color of the pesto. We also made fresh gnocchi-little potato dumplings. Simple and fresh.
I'm so excited!
I also made some fresh focaccia bread. When Mindi and Travis visited a few weeks ago I attempted and failed miserably. This recipe turned out much better despite me over cooking it just a bit.
I love this stuff! The color was amazing. I wish you could smell it.
This was me eating a pizza in Naples - something we did often in the city where pizza was born. Every time I make Italian food it brings me back to those experiences (Ignore the extra weight I seem to have added...this was taken over 5 and a half years ago). Now I just need to take my wife over there to experience some of the same things (mostly food related).

3 comments:

Pacers said...

So, maybe Tyler can make us some pesto and focaccia bread in Portland for Christmas?...

Kelly said...

Holy cow, Tyler! I had no idea you were such a gourmet cook. I am so impressed. That fresh gnocci and fresh pesto and focaccia bread sound marvelous. YUMMY.

Yes, your wife and daughter look awesome. Both were so well mannered in RS today too. Thanks for filling in at the last minute as chorister, Jess.

Lonna said...

Tyler I was thinking that maybe you could give James some pointers in the kitchen. Honestly that pesto looks so good. I am pretty much drooling.